On June 20th At approx. 0145 hrs. A District 8 box was dispatched for a reported Dwelling Fire in the 100 Block of S. Lincoln Avenue. Chief 801 arrived to find West Deptford PD extinguishing a mattress smoldering on the front lawn and smoke issuing from the dwelling. Engine Co. 812 and Ladder Co. 736 investigated to confirm no extension in the room of origin, performed ventilation and extinguished any remaining fire in the mattress.
The fire was believed to be caused by replacement rechargeable batteries to a drone aircraft being charged on the floor next to one of the residents beds. The resident was occupying the bed at the time of the fire in the overnight hours and managed to escape the predicament unharmed and with minimal damage to the property.
Consumers are urged to use caution and research products they are buying and using in and around their homes. Rechargeable batteries and devices are becoming more and more of a problem for consumers. We also recommend that people are not charging and storing these devices in sleeping areas, as this situation could have had a far graver outcome had the resident not been woken by the fire.