Westville Fire Department history and culture. The siren and the bell!
When the Union and Independent Fire Companies consolidated on January 1, 1988 to become one fire department, their next mission was to move forward and update the fleet.
To start the replacement and reduction of the fleet, Westville Fire District No. 1 was formed in 1989.
In 1991, the 1953 Maxim Ladder truck (formally UFC) had served it’s time and was ready to be replaced. To modernize the fleet it was decided one of the 1976 CF Mack Pumper (formally IFC) would also be removed from service and we purchased a new 1991 E-One 75’ Aerial Ladder truck with a 1500 GPM with 500 Gallons of water.
To keep the history and show the commitment to those who have served with the Union and Independent Fie Companies and to those who would serve the Westville Fire Department in the future, the siren from the Maxim Ladder and the bell from the Mack Pumper were placed onto the New Ladder truck. The truck served us from 1991 to 2015.
In April of 2016, we kept our tradition and added to it. We placed in service our third Aerial Ladder truck, a 2015 E-One 100’ Aerial Ladder with a 2000 GPM Pump. The siren and the bell were placed on this truck and then we added Mars 888 warning lights. These warning lights were used by both former companies, Union had red lenses and Independent had clear lenses. The Mars lights were added with the correct lenses, clear above the bell and red above the siren.
We remember and honor our past by keeping part of it in the present